The City’s award-winning greenway and trail system contains nearly 100 miles of paved and natural surface trails. Roanoke Parks and Recreation is responsible for the maintenance of these amenities, which includes but is not limited to building trail, repairing trail and greenway damage, collecting trash, mowing, cleaning/clearing debris, and installing signage.
Report a Trail or Greenway Issue
To report a trail or greenway issue or concern, you can call 540-853-200 or report it on the iRoanoke App.
Greenway Ambassador Program
Greenway Ambassadors strive to enhance the user experience by sharing their knowledge of routes, available resources, etiquette, and respect for other users on greenway trails throughout the City of Roanoke. Their goal is to assist users of all ages and experience levels to have a safe, fun outdoor experience.
- 18 years of age
- Outgoing, with good communication skills
- Willing to register as a City volunteer
- Willing to attend training
- Willing to provide several hours of volunteer service per month.
Greenway Ambassador volunteers do not need to act as a volunteer every time they use a greenway.
Volunteers are expected to:
- Commit to several hours of volunteering per month
- Complete Greenway Ambassador training with Roanoke Parks and Recreation and Roanoke Police Department
- Attend quarterly Greenway Ambassador Meetings
- Be familiar with Greenway resources and locations
- Provide education and awareness in a non-confrontational manner
- User etiquette, custom, consideration
- Resource location—bathrooms, water fountains, play grounds, restaurants, trail heads, routes, information kiosks
- Provide directions to other routes and trails
- Be available for user interaction
- Provide greenway eyes and ears for Roanoke Parks and Recreation and Roanoke Police Department
- Contact appropriate emergency personnel when needed
- Complete feedback report to Trails and Greenways Supervisor each month with hours, sections patrolled, and issues addressed
For more information, please contact Renee Powers, Roanoke Parks and Recreation Trails and Greenways Coordinator, at 540-853-5867 or email@example.com.
This volunteer position does require a background check.
View Trail and Greenway Plans
If you’re interested in a commemorative bench, please call 540-853-2236 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
National Public Lands Day
Held on the fourth Saturday in September, National Public Lands Day is the nation’s largest single-day volunteer effort to improve our public spaces. This year, we will be celebrating on September 18 and building a new trail on Mill Mountain per the 2021 Trails Plan. Volunteers will receive a T-shirt and lunch!
The Department hosts monthly volunteer trailwork days. If you’re interested, click the button below.
If you’re with a company hoping to organize a volunteer day for your workplace, please contact Renee Powers at 540-853-5867 or Renee.Powers@RoanokeVa.gov.