Please Keep the following rules in mind when enjoying one of Roanoke’s Greenways!
Please follow these guidelines to ensure your safety, and the safety of other greenway users, while enjoying the beauty of Roanoke’s unique park, greenway and trail network.
- Avoid walking more than two people abreast: This allows other users to pass safely. Please form a single line in congested areas or when others are trying to pass.
- Stay to the right, pass on the left: Please always stay to the right of the greenway trail, unless you are passing.
- Cyclists should always ride single file and at a safe speed: Please slow down in congested areas – especially ones with reduced visibility – or during hazardous weather conditions. Always maintain a safe speed that allows you to brake and turn quickly. Remember that pedestrians always have the right of way.
- Keep dogs on a leash: All four-legged greenway users must be kept on a leash that is six feet long or shorter. Always pick up after your pet and dispose of animal waste.
- Avoid standing still on the greenway: This helps prevent collisions. Please step off of the greenway if you need to pause or take a rest.
- Hide any valuables you intend to leave in your vehicle: Please hide any valuables that you plan to keep in your car while using the greenway to prevent theft. Please remember to also lock your car doors.
- Teach your children proper greenway etiquette: Prevent accidents involving children by ensuring that your children understand these rules and how to be safe on the greenway.
- Listen for others: Headphones may impair your ability to hear and react to potentially dangerous situations.
- No motorized vehicles are allowed on Roanoke’s greenways, trails or parks. ADA approved electronic personal mobility devices are allowed. E-bikes are not allowed.
- Wear a helmet: Cyclists, roller skaters/bladers and skateboard users should always wear helmets.