Please Keep the following rules in mind WHile enjoying the Greenways
Please follow these guidelines to ensure your safety, and the safety of other greenway users, while enjoying the beauty of Roanoke’s unique park, greenway, and trail network.
- Avoid walking more than two people abreast: This allows other users to pass safely. Please form a single line in congested areas or when others are trying to pass.
- Stay to the right, pass on the left: Please always stay to the right of the greenway trail, unless you are passing.
- Cyclists should always ride single file, announce themselves when passing, and travel at a safe speed: Please slow down in congested areas–especially ones with reduced visibility–or during hazardous weather conditions. Always maintain a safe speed that allows you to brake and turn quickly. Remember that pedestrians always have the right-of-way.
- Keep dogs on a leash: All four-legged greenway users must be kept on a leash that is six feet long or shorter. Always pick up after your pet and dispose of animal waste.
- Avoid standing still on the greenway: This helps prevent collisions. Please step off of the greenway if you need to pause or take a rest.
- Hide any valuables you intend to leave in your vehicle: To prevent theft, hide any valuables from sight in your car. Please remember to also lock your car doors.
- Teach your children proper greenway etiquette: Prevent accidents involving children by ensuring that your children understand these rules and how to be safe on the greenway.
- Listen for others: Headphones may impair your ability to hear and react to potentially dangerous situations.
- No motorized vehicles are allowed on Roanoke’s greenways, trails, or parks. ADA-approved electronic personal mobility devices are allowed. Beginning July 1, 2020, all classes of E-bikes ARE allowed.
- Wear a helmet: Cyclists, roller skaters/bladers, and skateboard users should always wear helmets.