E-sports is an increasingly popular form of competitive gaming, and Roanoke Parks and Recreation is excited to offer this opportunity for PLAY in our community! So, if you’re asking yourself what exactly E-sports is and how E-sports programming will be offered, let us fill you in!
If you’re already familiar with E-sports and excited to find out how you can participate, you may want to skip ahead. This next bit is for those who are still wondering what E-sports is exactly.
Essentially, E-sports is a form of video game competition in which players can participate individually or on teams. Games can be watched by others via live streaming, such as through platforms like YouTube or Twitch. Competitors can participate and connect with players in a virtual environment from the comfort of their own homes using their own equipment. Much like other organized sports, professional E-sport players have coaches, teams, sponsors, and rigorous training schedules.
Still not sure how popular E-sports are? Check out these fun facts:
- In recent years, one League of Legends E-sports championship has drawn more viewers than the Super Bowl, with a total of 100 million online viewers! (source)
- A number of Colleges & Universities have started degree programs in E-sports, and a growing number also offer varsity E-sports programs and scholarship opportunities. (source, source)
- While it’s not a part of the Olympic Games currently, the International Olympic Committee has been in discussions with E-sports organizations about the potential for including these competitions in future Olympic Games. (source)
BENEFITS OF E-SPORTS
E-sports has the ability to bring individuals together by providing social activity and connection in a safe, structured and fun environment! By creating group goals, E-sports transform an independent activity into a social event that is highly engaging and beneficial. E-sports players develop skills such as teamwork, communication, and problem solving all while engaging socially with their teammates.
WHO CAN PLAY?
If you’re reading this, there’s a good chance E-sports is for you! The benefits of E-sports can be seen in both youth and adults, and Roanoke Parks and Recreation will be offering leagues as a part of our athletics programming for participants ages eight and above. Leagues will be operated through a partnership with GG Leagues and open to all skill levels. Games will include EA Madden, Fortnite, Rocket League, Super Smash Bros., and more. Players can win prizes in the form of gift cards. Games times will vary, but are typically weekday evenings.
HOW TO PLAY
Ready to get in on the action?
- Winter League registration begins October 25
- Ages 8+ can participate (participants under 18 will require a parent to sign them up)
- Cost: $40/season pass
Register at https://app.ggleagues.com/clubs/roanoke-parks-and-recreation. For additional details and information, please see https://app.ggleagues.com/faq.
To stay up to date with all Roanoke Parks and Recreation programs and events, sign up for our monthly e-newsletter by clicking here.