Stop Standing Around! Get Out and Ride the Disco!!!!
“The Wednesday Night Disco Race” is an award winning series of Wednesday night mountain bike races that will make you want to dance on your pedals in preparation for the race season.
Sponsored by Just the Right Gear and managed by Roanoke Parks and Recreation this series will get your fro in a tizzy. This gig isn’t one that will replace polyester with spandex, but it is a fat tire series for anyone that wants to compete in a true off-road mountain bike race.
This race is far out! Well not really that far. The location of the event will be at the Discovery Center (AKA The Disco Center) atop Mill Mountain. The fun will begin and finish there as riders boogie on down the mountain and work their way back up to the Disco Center. Beginner racers will only see this course for one loop while the weekend warriors will see it twice and the elites will feel the funk for three full laps.
Not sure if your ready for such an event? Well, this is made to meet the needs of the most novice rider while providing a local weeknight training ground for the fittest mountain biker.
Race Information, Registration and Categories
Cover charge will be a measly $10.00 per event or $25 for the entire 3-race series!
Official start time: 6pm
Race dates: April 23, May 7, and May 14. On site registration opens 5:00pm
Register for all 3 races for only $25.00
Same-day Race entry is $10.00.
Minimum ages to participate = 10
Age 10 to 16 who choose the juniors division ride for FREE courtesy of Just the Right Gear. No online registration – juniors register on race-day before the race.
Male & Female as follows:
Jive Turkeys – AKA: Beginner/Novice. Distance = 4.2 miles (one lap)
Freaky-deakys – AKA: Single-Speed/Sport. Distance = 6.6 miles (two laps)
Funkadelics – AKA: Elite/Expert Pro. Distance = 9.2 miles (three laps)
Cool Cats – AKA: Juniors 10-16. Distance = 4.2 miles (one lap)
Additional Race Info
- Registration ends 15 minutes prior to the start of the race! Be there early to register.
- Registration will be held at The Discovery Center
- All riders required to sign a release form for each event and check in with registration
- Prizes awarded to top 3 in each category. Bragging rights are a bonus.
- Helmets are required.
- Race bib numbers must be kept for the entire series.
- Racers must have two race finishes in a given category to be eligible for series awards.
- Races will run rain or shine. The mountain trails drain well, and unless severe weather is happening within 15 minutes of race start, races will go on as planned.
- For questions and additional info regarding the race, contact Renee Lavin, Outdoor Recreation Specialist for Trails and Trail Programming at 540-853-5867 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Wednesday Night Disco Course Description
Race time is at 6pm.
The course starts at the Mill Mountain Discovery Center. From there, travel:
- Straight down the Ridgeline Trail
- Right onto Riser Trail
- Right onto Big Sunny Trail
- Left onto Mill Mountain Greenway
- Right onto Monument Trail
- Cross Fishburn Parkway
- Right onto Ridgeline Trail
- Finish at Discovery Center
Parking & Directions
This event will be held at Mill Mountain Park: 2000 JB Fishburn Parkway, Roanoke VA (map it)
Directions from I-581/220 South:
Take exit #6 for VA-24/Elm Avenue. Turn right onto Elm Ave./VA-24 and follow for .2 of a mile. Turn left onto Jefferson Street and continue for 0.4 of a mile. Turn left onto Walnut Avenue which turns into the FishburnParkway for 2.2 miles. Turn right at Mill Mountain Park sign and continue 0.6 of a mile to the first parking lot on left.
Directions from I-581/220 North:
Take exit #6 for VA-24/Elm Avenue. Turn left onto Elm Ave./VA-24 and follow for .2 of a mile. Turn left onto Jefferson Street and continue for 0.4 of a mile. Turn left onto Walnut Avenue which turns into the Fishburn Parkway for 2.2 miles. Turn right at Mill Mountain Park sign and continue 0.6 of a mile to the first parking lot on left.
Directions from Blue Ridge Parkway:
Turn onto Mill Mountain Parkway at mile marker 120.4. Continue 2.6 miles and turn left at Mill Mountain Park sign and continue 0.6 of a mile to the first parking lot on the left.
Thanks to the Sponsors!
Just the Right Gear
The Wednesday Night Disco is happy to have Just the Right Gear on board as the title sponsor for this year’s Wednesday Night Disco Mountain Bike Race Series up on Mill Mountain.
Next time your in the mood for new gear, dance on out toward Carvins Cove and stop by Steve’s shop on VA 311. Just the Right Gear has, by far and away, the best selection of serious mountain bikes in the area. Big brands fill his walls including Cannondale, Santa Cruz, Cannondale, Kona, and more.
The Wednesday Night Disco is the place to ride and Just the Right Gear is the place to gear up.
Check out their site at: http://www.justtherightgear.com/