This summer, the City of Roanoke’s Dept. of Parks and Recreation will host three open-air art markets in downtown Roanoke. Created to celebrate local artists, Art in the Plaza, will take place in Roanoke’s charming and recently upgraded Century Plaza located at 14 Church Ave., SE. The markets will take place from 10:00 a.m. to 3:00 p.m. on Saturday, June 24, Saturday, July 22, and Saturday, August 26, 2017.
“Our vision is to create a family-friendly cultural destination in Century Plaza,” said Lauren Woodson, Community Recreation Program Supervisor at Roanoke Parks and Recreation. “This open-air marketplace will provide emerging local artists and performers with an opportunity to showcase their art.”
Now Accepting Applications!
Do you want to showcase your artwork or participate in Roanoke’s upcoming Art in the Plaza markets? We are currently accepting artist and performer applications! All artists or performers must complete an Artist Application Packet and submit it electronically to Lauren Woodson or in-person at Mountain View Recreation Center. If you have any questions about the application, please contact Lauren Woodson at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Artists will be required to submit three (3) image samples of work with the completed application. Performers will be required to submit one (1) MP4 file or online link (ex: YouTube, Sound Cloud, etc) as a sample. The City of Roanoke Parks and Recreation will have the final authority regarding the acceptance or rejection of any product that does not follow the guidelines below.
- All products must be at least 80% handmade original arts and/or crafts. No machine made or mass produced work permitted.
Art in the Plaza Summer Art Market in Century Plaza
- Artist may sell prints of their original artwork. No mass produced printed posters or other works allowed.
- Performers may sell CDs, DVDs, or memorabilia related to their performance only. Image samples of memorabilia must be submitted at the time of registration.
- All jewelry pieces must be handmade, finished and assembled exclusively by the artist.
- Artwork and performances must be appropriate for all ages.
- Any new works, different from the medium of the work submitted during registration, must be reviewed by City of Roanoke Parks and Recreation Staff prior to inclusion in Art in the Plaza.
- City of Roanoke Parks and Recreation reserves the right to request removal of any product from an artist’s display if it does not follow the guidelines.
- There will be a $15.00 non-refundable setup fee (except cancellation due to weather) for each Art in the Plaza date. Each artist and performer will be required to pay this fee via credit card, cash, or check to City of Roanoke Parks and Recreation no later than 5 days prior to the Art in the Plaza date.
To read the rest of the guidelines, please download the Art in the Plaza Guidelines and Artist Application document.